Zion's Breakfast Steak
Updated: Mar 27, 2019
This breakfast steak is perfect for meat-lovers who crave steak for every meal, including breakfast! Ladies, if you're in the mood to spoil your hubby, this recipe tends to be a huge hit!! Perhaps the old adage is true - the way to a man's heart is through his stomach! Let's get started!
2 Zion's Farm Filet Steaks
1 teaspoon of butter
1 Apple (envy)
1 tablespoon of dried onions
Course ground salt (no iodine) and course ground black pepper
Jefferson Whiskey (most hand crafted whiskey pairs well with this dish!)
Black Coffee (we recommend Pete's Major Dickson's Blend)
1) Thaw steaks to room temperature
2) Season steaks with course salt and pepper liberally on both sides
3) Add 1 teaspoon of butter to cast-iron skillet (butter should be slightly brown while cooking).
4) Place room-temperature steaks on skillet
5) Add dried onions on the top of the steaks
6) Cook for 3-4 minutes per side and cover
Tip: Dry-aged steaks cook very fast so you must be attentive and careful!
7) Take the steaks out and place on cutting board (skillet should look like this):
8) Let the steaks finish on the cutting board for 4-8 minutes, they will juice off as they finish cooking!
9) Now break your eggs into the skillet (where the steaks just were) and let salt, pepper, onions, butter, and steak juice do its thing! No additional seasoning is needed.
10) Cook eggs to over easy or medium (they also will continue to cook once you put them on the plate)
11) Slice the steak and lay the fried eggs around the steak
12) Salt and pepper the avocados and lightly salt the apples!
This dish is wonderful with Peet's coffee, which I am enjoying in my coffee mug hand-made by my mother. Every detail was hand drawn/etched and made in pottery shop as well as glazed and fired!
If you're in the mood, Jefferson Reserve Whiskey is also a wonderful pairing for this breakfast dish, and a nice treat to add occasionally to a lazy breakfast! Special thanks to my good friend, Michael Coakley for the treat.
It is said that President Truman had a shot of whiskey every morning to start his day - I also believe that Winston Churchill did the same (along with a good dose of tobacco). I'm quite certain my grandfathers and great uncles did the same while they fought to keep their liberty- so this morning I toast their memory and sacrifice so that I may enjoy the liberty and prosperity I have today.
Please note, I am learning to cook from my amazing wife Cara! She prepares awesome meals and she always manages to surprise me with food I like, and foods that I didn't even know I liked! She keeps me healthy, and the reason we have our healthy food from our farm is because she wanted to make sure we have the best and the healthiest. Here at Zions, that is what we want for your family too. From our garden to our beef and sausage, we make sure our food is the healthiest and best to feed your family as we feed ours!
Please find below videos highlighting the health benefits from avocados, apples, and whiskey! From our family to yours, enjoy and stay healthy!