This is a great meal to prepare when you don't have much time to prepare a meal before dinnertime. Prep it in the morning, and have it cooking in your crockpot throughout the day while you're busy! People will wonder how you made such a beautiful meal!
2.5 lb Zion's Farm Beef Chuck Roast
2 TBSP canola oil
1 TSP salt
1 TSP fresh or dried tyme
2-3 Carrots peeled and cut in large chunks
2-3 Potatos (large) or 1 lb of smaller potatoes (such as Yukon Gold or Red Potatos) cut in to large cubes
1 onion cut into chucky slices
2-3 Celery Stalks cut into three in. sections
1 TSP garlic
1 1/4 C Beef Broth (see recipes from Zion Hill Farm)
option: sub one 1/4 c red wine for beef broth
1. Heat your pan (one good for searing) and add oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper. When hot, add the roast to the pan and sear for 3-4 min on each side until a crisp brown crust forms. This will help seal in the juices.
2. Add chopped carrots, potatoes, celery and garlic to a crock pot and place the beef on top.
3. In the skillet, sauté the onions in the remaining oil and fat until tender and add to the roast along with thyme and liquids.
4. Cook the roast on low for approx. 8 hours or until the meet is finished, pulls apart easily and the vegetables are cooked.
Optional Step: To use the leftover broth for a gravy, when the roast is finished add leftover liquid to a small saucepan and mix with approx. 1 TBSP cornstarch for about 3 min. until a thicker gravy forms.
6. Serve the meat with gravy and garnish with parsley if desired.